Packages (formerly known as "gift boxes") contain Cosmetic Items, Consumables, or tokens that can buy Cosmetic Items and Consumables with the Store Menu of the Watch Menu or in the Merch Booth. You open packages by grabbing the zipper on the top of the package and pulling it from the left side to the right side.
Packages are obtained in various ways:
- You have a chance of receiving a package with the option to pick your reward for every #RecRoomOriginal Game you complete. The chance is reduced with every package you get this way, but it resets to a high chance once every day.
- You get a package with the option to pick your reward for completing every Daily Challenge for the day.
- You get a package with a skin or a (4-star) cosmetic item for completing 3 of 5 Weekly Challenges.
- You get one-time packages with food or cosmetics depending on your level when you Level-up.
- You have a chance of receiving a package with a cosmetic item of a game-specific Cosmetic Set after completing specific #RecRoomOriginal Games; e.g., an item of the Lumberjack Set after completing a Paintball game on the Clear Cut map.
- Winning some of the Quests also provides a package with the option to pick your reward under special circumstances.
- There are a few #community "promo rooms" that provide "promo-drop" Cosmetic Items.
- You can receive Cosmetic Items or Consumables as gifts by other players.
- You can buy packages (for yourself or as gift to others) with Cosmetic Items or Consumables for tokens in the Merch Booth or with the Store Menu of the Watch Menu.
- You can buy packages with tokens for real money or subscribe to the paid membership program "Rec Room Plus" (which includes weekly packages) in the Store Menu of the Watch Menu.
- There are other reasons for receiving packages (e.g., being rewarded for creating a popular Custom Room, or winning a cosmetic item as a prize of a Competition). All packages show the reason for obtaining them in the top left.
Some packages containing a cosmetic item indicate the rarity of the cosmetic item with one to five stars. One star items are "starter items" that are available to all players. Five star items are very rare.
For more details about the reward system, see this developer blog posting.